Thursday 21 March 2013

E160G and Raspberry Pi

I thought i'd share a few of my findings on trying to use an E160G mobile dongle with my Raspberry Pi. I have a project where the Pi is sending text messages, and to do this i'm using Python and PySerial.

Everything has been working fine with it, got the modem connected and tested out the AT commands using minicom. Everything was pretty happy until we got down to sending.

Everything seems to work fine on the surface, you enter send string:

AT+CMGS="mobilenumberhere"

and then it returns the expected > for the message, so I enter the message and then end the message (char26 or ctrl+z)

Message sends, I see it arrive on my phone.. but then the dongle doesn't respond with a message ID number as expected (+CMGS), nor does it respond ok. It just crashes and sits there doing nothing.

I went through various things, my original htought was a power issue as it only happened when sending - tried 3 different powered USB hubs all to no avail. I thought I was going mad.

Eventually, I tried a different dongle (an E173) and it worked perfectly. Therefore at this moment in time, I believe there to be some kind of incompatibility between the E160G and the Pi - or at least MY E160G and the Pi.

I've wasted far to much time on this, so thought I would share my thoughts.

For anyone interested, I've written a some functions to work with Python and the dongles for sending adn collecting messages - see my next blog post.

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment